Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: 421-8H Question

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Bill F777's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 8th, 2007
    Posts
    25
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    What is the difference between a 421-8H and a 421-8H Series 2 woofer. Thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    I think it's just the frame/basket.

    421-8H is a rear mount early style frame, and the 421-8HII is the later type frame with the wide gasket that can be front or rear mounted to the baffle.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    FWIW, the published specs are different enough to imply either a motor design change and/or different cone/VC kit.

    GM

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    421-8H Question


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    The Frames are not a predictable thing.

    The new ones were used as old ones ran out.

    The poop from Altec at the time was the II had a much improved coil. I believe the cone to be the same.

    Motor changes are quite possible too, do not remember ever discussing it.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    Sorry guys, i just looked at the GPA parts list and saw that they both use the same parts for rebuild and made the dangerous assumption.

    I could only find a data sheet for 421-8H, but compared to the catalog specs of the 421-8H II they are surely different.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member 417 - Alnico's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2003
    Posts
    201
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

  7. #7
    Inactive Member 417 - Alnico's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2003
    Posts
    201
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 421-8H Question

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    Sorry guys, i just looked at the GPA parts list and saw that they both use the same parts for rebuild and made the dangerous assumption.

    I could only find a data sheet for 421-8H, but compared to the catalog specs of the 421-8H II they are surely different.
    Here are some PDF's... I did not check to see if they are duplicates of the web pages above though.

    http://www.altecpro.com/products/vin...x.htm#speakers

  8. #8
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 421-8H Question

    IIRC, the IIs went to copper voice coil windings (previously aluminum) to meet the higher power demands of the day. When the IIs first came out, they had a lifetime warranty. The copper coils added mass, accounting for the parameter change.

    Added;
    Duhh.. shoulda just read the '75 MI catalog page 417 linked above;

    "The ?H Series II speakers are the high powered versions of the old reliables. They feature special heat dissipating aluminum coil supports and ultra rugged copper voice coils that allow you to play louder for longer periods of time. with much less worry of burn out."
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.